I threw my first baby shower for a dear friend over the weekend. I’m pretty sure throwing one shower makes me an expert, so I present you with …
1. Steal ideas. Practically the entire menu was the menu my mom served at Ryan’s baptism party last month. It was a different crowd, so it was new to them.
2. Marry a nice guy. That way, when you put on a brand new dress and discover a gigantic hole in the front of it 45 minutes before the party starts, you’ve got someone who will speed to Target to exchange it for you.
3. Call the professionals. Your cupcakes might be tasty, but they aren’t this pretty. At least mine aren’t.
4. Put ’em to work. Require the guests to decorate onesies for the mom-to-be. It’s a cute gift for her and – equally important – an easy party decoration for you.
5. Invite parents of cute kids. Then you don’t need shower games because let’s face it: the “Watch Preston Attempt to Woo Lucy” game is more entertaining anyway.
6. Go on a pre-shower vacation. I got back from a girls’ hiking trip to Utah just a few days before the shower. All that fresh mountain air put me into super-laid-back-party-planner mode. At least until I discovered the hole in the dress.
*I define “Best” by the following criteria: Food was consumed, gifts were opened and baby/toddler meltdowns were minimized.