Posted by on Mar 25, 2013 in Uncategorized | 6 comments

So, I’m a stay-at-home mom now.

(I actually like to think of myself as a “work-from-home” mom, but if today is any indication, there is more “staying” and less “working from” happening.)

Today was my first official day in this  capacity — I’m the girl you heard yelling “I’m retired at the age of thirtyyyyyyyy!” driving up the I-17 in Phoenix on Friday.

Anyway, I started to type out a full recap of the day and, well, it was too long. You don’t want to read it. Instead, let’s do some highlights, by-the-numbers style:

  • 1 trip to the grocery store, complete with a car shopping cart.


  • 8 frozen organic blueberry waffles dragged across the store parking lot by a “helpful” toddler.
  • 2.5 hours of nap time (A.K.A. 1 Real Housewives marathon for mom).
  • 2 outdoor excursions to blow bubbles.


  • 4 timeouts; 1 bite that left a mark on my left arm.
  • 1 incident in which I caught Ryan crawling along the back of the couch.
  • 1 near-heart attack resulting from catching Ryan crawling along the back of the couch.

The day ended with a work-related phone call in which I had to say, “Excuse me for a sec, my kid’s in time out right now.”  “Oh yeah? For what?”  “For hitting me. Cuz I turned off ‘Super Why’.”  “Oh. Well, I’d hit you for that, too.” (Luckily, this was a phone call with a friend I’ve worked with for the past two years and not a new client.)

It sounds dramatic, but I still consider the day to be a success (particularly the part with the Real Housewives marathon). The fact is, the kid’s toys are nearly all packed up and he’s bored. I am holding out hope that once we’re settled in Pennsylvania with our own home and a full array of toys and we have a better structure in place, that things will go a little more smoothly.

Truthfully, preparing for this move has been confusing for Ryan. He keeps asking me what happened to his books, what happened to the football shelf in his room, what happened to the coffee pot in his play kitchen – he’s even concerned about where the large gate that used to keep him out of the kitchen ran off to.

Next up: Day 2 of being a stay-at-home mom. If I live to tell the tale.